I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Thursday 11 April 2013

Running the Skyline Track

Looking out to the South Island with the Skyline winding through the grassland below


The day dawned clear and still. Outside my window the Skyline Track beckoned. As the weather was calm and still I decided to answer the call. From our house it is a very steep climb straight up through regenerating bush. As you go higher, the bush turns into gorse and scrub, and finally into rough pasture. It is very rarely completely still once up so high and today was no exception. A cool wind gusted sporadically reminding me this is not a place to go unprepared and I was careful to have a small backpack with a polyprop, beanie, water, snacks and a cell phone tucked inside in case conditions worsened.
I stopped on a high point and looked out over the city and harbour, then to Makara where across Cook Strait I could see the mountain peaks of Te Wai Pounamu, or the South Island. The view was spectacular and exhilarating. The climb up is stiff but my heart always sings once I reach the top peak.
Houses scattered below as I clamber up through the gorse

Looking out towards Karori

From this point the run is along the ridge and I love the feeling I get when running so high up. It is rolling terrain but in the main downhill if you head towards Karori which is the way I always prefer to go. The track is marked by yellow disks and was in good condition - not too crumbly due to recent slight rain but not yet chopped up and muddy as it is in winter time. The view was startling as I ran along. I could see Zealandia in the distance, planes circling to take off and land at the airport, the ferries cruising in and out of the harbour and the wind farm churning away out to my right. The grass had greened up due to the recent rain and I could see cattle grazing in the distance. Its proximity to the city is deceptive though, and if the clouds roll in it is easy to become disoriented and lose your way. The winds can be horrendous and help increase the chill factor.

Wellington Harbour in the distance with invasive gorse bushes in front

A 'mushroom' of houses growing into the bush
I kept a look out for the style over the fence which would take me away from the Skyline path and lead me on a narrow track above the Wilton/ Otari Reserve. It is always sheltered in the lee of the hill and quickly you find yourself in native bush. I found the style, climbed over and started to run - but with caution. This was the place I tripped last year breaking my my leg. It is a long way from any road and it would be difficult to be rescued except by helicopter. I had not realised my leg was broken and presumed it was just sprained so got myself down and home. It was only the next day when I had it x-rayed as a precaution that my fibula was found to be broken. No displacement of the bones though so I used a moon boot and healed up in time to go on a cycle tour six weeks later.
As I rounded a corner I came across three men working on the path. They informed me they were part of the Western Group who volunteer to work on the track's upkeep. All over New Zealand there a small working groups who do stuff like this. These guys were retired and liked getting out of the house for the day. It had taken them three quarters of an hour to walk in with their grubbers. I told them about the spot where I had tripped, and thanked them for the improved track I had used today. They were glad someone was using it as when working on it they did not often encounter anyone else.
I continued jogging along and the forest grew denser and more twisted. As I was feeling good I continued along the top track and into a pine forest. The path felt spongy with pine needles and the forest had a quiet muted feel to it. It was completely different to native forest, dry with no under-storey

 I saw a sign indicating the path down into Otari Wilton Bush.Immediately the bush was damper and I could hear tui and saw a wood pigeon fly by and perch on a nearby tree.
I followed the blue trail then veered on to the green trail and crossed the river into the picnic ground.
A run along the valley floor brought me back out onto the road. A couple of kilometres up the hill and I was home just as it started to rain.
The run took two and a quarter hours. The Skyline track can be used for walking and for mountain biking. When Wellington was settled, an inner and an outer green belt was planned and it is wonderful that these areas still remain and are protected.






No comments:

Post a Comment