I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Sunday 28 July 2013

Storm aftermath continued -checking a line for pests

Bait station with egg and Nutella for bait. Mouse prints can be seen on the papers
I volunteered to help help out with the continuing audit after the storm to check for pest incursions. I was given a line involving the main track above the top dam, then following up the perimeter fence and down a fire-break to complete the circle.
I headed past Tui Terrace and spied a pair of California quail. Though not native I always enjoy seeing them as they busybody about, acting important.

Busybody quail

As it was sunny and warm for winter, I decided to make a day of it and took a packed lunch.
My job was to open the bait stations, remove the blotting paper, check for footprints and replace with new papers. If upon opening there was a putrid smell, I was to remove the egg that had gone off and throw it in the bush being careful not to splatter it on anything close such as myself. I had to add Nutella as fresh bait. No problems!

Well, the first problem was a surprise. I opened the box, the egg smelt good and there were only mouse prints on the papers. I then noticed I had an audience. OG-KM, or Og the robin who I work with when giving robin talks had showed up hoping what I was doing included mealy worms for him. Robins being so curious are a problem as they are liable to investigate a bait station and have a poke around. Today I was changing adding bait, not poison, but poison could be added at any time. Already a robin has managed to eat a poison bait and been killed and I would not like the same fate for Og. He is a dominant little bird who turns up at other birds' territories to try and cadge an extra mealy worm when we are doing robin talks.
He flitted about and I hoped if poison was laid he would not be able to access it. I left him sitting on the box and I knew the next person was going to find Og prints on the papers and Og would be bopping about in other robins' territory with trendy red feet caused by walking through the ink pad.

Og the 'Orrible appears on the scene
Then I had a problem with the path. Though the storm had occurred weeks before, parts of the track were still blocked with felled trees. I chose to crouch down and go underneath. Tree ferns were denuded, their fronds torn off and scattered. I went past another tree ripped out by the roots which were on display in the air.

After the storm the track was a bit of a mess in places

Ponga (tree ferns) with their tops gone

A large pine ripped out of the ground

My next problem happened at lunch time. It was a beautiful day. I found a sunny spot, opened my sandwiches and started to eat. My sandwiches started to turn red. Og may have acquired red feet, but I had red hands from handling the papers, ink pads etc and now my sandwiches were turning red. I had been told the dye was harmless food dye and I hoped so as I was hungry and ate my red tinged lunch with gusto. So it was only a problem for fussy types.

My last problem was with a bait station that had had a gust of wind through it. An ink pad was gone, it was full of leaves, and the egg had rolled off its little stand. I picked it up carefully and oops, my fingers went straight through. Though not exactly rancid, it was not pleasant. I was glad I had eaten my lunch as I would have baulked at handling my sandwiches with not so pleasant eggy fingers. Then I wasn't so glad I had eaten my lunch as it began threatening to return as the smell wafted around my nostrils. But, hardy person that I am, I kept my lunch down and staunchly continued on.


No more problems. There were no signs of  cats, rats, stoats or weasels. I ambled down the fire break track checking the last of my bait stations, called in on the radio that I was heading home and made my way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment