I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Cycling to Makara Hill and Back.

The Takarau Gorge is well known to Wellington cyclists but care needs to be taken
Good land for sheep

Spring is definitely in the air. I decided to bike the rural route behind Wellington from Johnsonville to Makara Hill and back. It is narrow and windy with rolling hills. Traffic is mostly light and has an understanding  of the road's difficulties. Every so often you will meet some one whose ability is being tested, or more likely they are testing their ability, so it pays to be wary and keep left at all times.
I wound down the hilly road which after a while followed the Makara River. I worked on keeping my speed up but it was hard on such a beautiful day not to let my thoughts wander and my cycling meander. Through the Takarau Gorge, I went. There were an abundance of pukeko wandering alongside the river. They flicked their white tails at me if I stopped to photograph them and would shift away a little. I passed a couple of ducks swimming in a muddy puddle.
Pukeko are abundant in the Takarau Gorge
A pukeko by the Makara River

As I passed the Makara Beach Road and headed now mainly uphill I noticed my riding become an effort. Sluggish, not swift. My front tyre was definitely soggy. I got off, removed the tyre and checked for a puncture. I dislike changing tyres so I pumped it up first to see it I could find the damage.Much to my satisfaction it stayed blown up. I presumed it must have been a leaky valve. I ground up Makara Hill then turned and whizzed down.
To make up the miles I did a couple of detours. One was out to Makara Beach, a wonderfully exposed and wild place. The little village nestles into the hills to avoid the winds and wishes to stay the way it is. The people who live here do not want sophistication. Their life is being intruded upon by wind farms but as they are situated on hills further away they have not upset the place too much.
The rugged Makara Beach
In summer, Makara is great for snorkelling and fishing
The wind farm behind Makara Village
My second deviation was up Ohariu Valley Road to where another wind farm is being created. It is a roller coaster road giving a great downhill experience on the way back as the speed built up on the down-hills takes you over the next rise.
With the sun on my back I continued back to Johnsonville and home happy with my ride and the fact my tyre stayed inflated. Animals were out enjoying the spring day. Lambing has started. The land is not of the best quality so no dairy cows out here which is a nice change. The river is degraded somewhat as animals have access to it and break down the banks.
 I will check for glass chips embedded in the tyre surface plus faulty valves before I head out again.



Horses enjoying the spring weather.


Radiata Pine have been planted on the hills


A lovely valley and river though it is a shame the banks of the Makara are degraded by animal access




















No comments:

Post a Comment