I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Thursday 24 October 2013

An Interesting Night Tour.

A little spotted kiwi or kiwi pukupuku


I was on duty for the Zealandia by Night Tour. On arrival things were a little different than normal. The wind was blowing fiercely - well actually that is normal for this time of year. What was different was that there was a conference under way and they were at the relaxed part of their get together. Most of the attendees were in the valley but there was plenty of evidence of their recent presence. Half filled wine glasses were on every available ledge and there was a fruity alcoholic aroma prevailing. As they could not take their drinks into the valley they had deposited them wherever there was space in the visitor centre.
Our tour group arrived. They were a very serious group of Germans accompanied by a translator. We welcomed them and headed into the exhibition area. My job was to turn on the movie when requested. I went upstairs, checked things and waited for my cue. I looked up at the large panel with a mural on it where the movie is always screened. Nothing was moving. I began to get concerned. The mural usually has some swaying tree ferns and a flock of birds fly past at intervals. The were two tours this night and the other Tail End Charlie appeared. He went to check the computer and found that things seemed to be frozen. I descended and signalled to the guide not talking. He thought it was OK so I went back up. Next thing the other guide arrived and we tried to start the movie. It was a no go - definitely frozen. I shot down to the guide who was gathering people ready for the start and signalled with the 'throat- cut' sign that the movie was not going to happen. The very serious group seemed to accept this without questions and we decided to head out to the Valley.
We gathered by the door and the group were checking their bags for unwanted vermin (a ritual we go through every time we enter so as not to compromise our pest free status) when the conference group happily and noisily re-entered the visitor centre and tried to re-acquaint themselves with their wine. Our serious and silent group held their ground and stared at the rowdy bunch who were non plussed  about what to do. I carved a channel for them by herding the silent group to one side. They seemed to accept this without question and once the other lot was in we led our lot out.

It was a big group but the visitors were quiet and serious. We now use ear phones so every one can hear the guide - or in this case the translator. We saw all our usual suspects - shags, takahe, kaka and tuatara. Tuatara are becoming more visible now it is warmer. We heard a call from the other tour group that Flip Flop the kiwi was at his usual haunt so made our way quickly to the spot where we could observe him. He put on a good show probing for worms and pottering about. When he disappeared from view the guide turned and pointed towards the nearby bridge which Flip Flop uses to cross as part of his routine. As we stood and watched I felt a gentle touch on my shoulder. I turned and one of the tourists pointed to my feet. There was Flip Flop almost sitting on my shoe. Careful not to frighten him I signalled to the guide of his presence by whistling instead of using the speaker phone or calling out. No reaction. Now my whistle is a weak and feeble affair but I was sure it must of carried to him and I could not understand why he did not respond. I whistled and whistled again. Some of the group turned and watched Flip Flop as he continued to potter around my feet. We had a lovely view of him while the guide continued to talk and watch the bridge. Finally Flip Flop ambled into the bush and headed towards the bridge. The guide spotted him and pointed him out to the people around him. They remained stoic and silent. The ones who had watched the kiwi near me did not mention it to others.

We headed up a track and were exposed to a wonderful glow worm or puratoke display. They had been knocked by the drought and it had taken all of winter for them to return to such a brilliant display. I hoped the group appreciated them but again there was not a twinge of emotion.

On the way out we saw an eel in the creek, the Maud Island frog and another kiwi beside the track. A kiwi called out almost next to us, loud and piercing. We saw a large tuatara by one of the gates -well the ones at the front of the group did. There did not seem to be any desire by the group to make sure everyone saw it. They remained polite, silent and serious. As I passed I shone my torch to spotlight the tuatara for those who had not got a look in as those in the front had not shifted to allow them a view. My little group watched for a while and finally I got a quiet 'thank you' from a lady who had never managed to get to the front of the group.

We made out way out and the group left in their van as silent and as serious as they had been when they arrived.  The conference party had gone and any evidence of wine glasses had disappeared. I asked the guide why he had not responded to my whistle when Flip Flop was pottering by my feet. He looked surprised. He had thought it was one of the group making annoying noises when he was trying to talk. I pointed out that that was going to be very unlikely as they were one of the most unresponsive groups we had ever had the pleasure of showing around.

We hoped the group had enjoyed themselves but we would never know.

A night tour

Flip Flop the Kiwi

The Story of Flip Flop

No comments:

Post a Comment