I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Tulip week



I decided to plan one of my longer runs to include part of Wellington's Botanic Gardens as spring was well under way and it was Tulip Week. The Botanic Gardens has a wonderful display at this time of the year if the wind has not gone through it like a dose of salts.


I ran through Wilton Bush then headed back up onto the road to Kelburn. From there I dropped down to the Gardens. The tulips looked amazing as I approached. It was a beautiful day and the gardens were obviously the feature of an outing for residents of rest homes. There were vans carefully driving by on the wider paths and elderly folk were enjoying a walk a little distance away.


I was keen to join them but first I needed a comfort stop. As I entered the ladies I came across an elderly lady wrestling with a toilet door as she tried to enter. I helped her then went to my own cubicle. As I washed my hands I heard banging and scrabbling noises coming from the toilet next door. Having struggled to get in she was now panicking as she could not get out. I could see the 'Vacant/Engaged' sign twirling madly. I called out to her, convinced her to take things slowly and wrenched the door open when the vacant sign was in view. Flushed, (her I mean, though I suppose the toilet was flushed too), she staggered out saying that she though she was going to be locked in there for ever. I accompanied her out and made sure she joined her acquaintances. As I walked off to view the daffodils I could see her animatedly describing her adventure to her companions.



I spent a few happy minutes enjoying the brilliant tulip displays, thinking of a poem that was written by Laura Ranger when aged six after having attended Tulip Sunday.

A yellow tablecloth on a table with thousands of legs
                                             
 Tulip Sunday

In the Botanical Gardens
bright tulips
spread out
like a yellow tablecloth
on a table with thousands of legs.

Some tulips 
have red lips
and dark black eyes.
They bow and curtsy 
in the wind.

Red lips and black eyes



I finally continued my run, refreshed by my detour into a world of colour.











No comments:

Post a Comment