I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Monday 4 February 2013

7s Day 2.

Day 2 of the 7s started gingerly with people wandering in late looking frayed about the edges in both demeanor and costume . Cats without tails, smurfs whose blue paint had run, Mexicans whose hats had drooped.
My job to start with was to release other members of our team for coffee breaks. At first it was easy to move about the concourse but after a couple of hours it was as though a switch had been thrown . People poured in and began pouring beer through their systems . It was hard to move in any direction and the noise reached new decibels. All very happy it was though it would not be a good situation if panic set in for some reason. Getting out could be very difficult . I took my place at the bar then decided it was safer on the other side of the counter . The amount of alcohol allowed to be bought was reduced but the queues never diminished . The crowd stayed happy and good humoured thank goodness  but I was glad when the bars shut down and I could make my way home , ears ringing and clothes smelling like a brewery.
Wellington's biggest party over for another year .

No comments:

Post a Comment