I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Saturday 23 February 2013

Shakespeare in the Park

I have been meaning to watch a University of Victoria's production of Shakespeare in the Botanic Gardens for several years now, and last night I finally went to a production of Anthony and Cleopatra with a friend. As there is always a lack of parking we left the car about a kilometre away and enjoyed a walk up Tinakori Road to the Gardens in the twilight.
We set up our little chairs, and relaxed to watch the show. It would have been wise to have brushed up a little on the story beforehand, or bought a programme at least, but I had forgotten my money and had drained that of my friend's, so we had to rely on memory.
Still, it was a pleasant evening and I understood the gist of things. As student productions go, there was fine acting by some (who were not students but seasoned actors) whose every word could be caught, and a range of acting and speaking skills for the rest, who definitely were students. There was some great interaction with the audience and a young boy near us was caught off guard when he was suddenly embraced by Cleopatra. He went pink but was obviously pleased with the attention.
As evening fell the temperature grew cool and we wrapped in a blanket and I pulled on my woolly hat.
The lighting in the trees became more visible and at what seemed exactly the right moments the wind would sigh through the surrounding bush. The Dell is the perfect place to take in a little Shakespeare on a fine night I decided as I relaxed on my camp chair and snacked on a peppermint or two.
During one of Anthony's speeches I heard a friend of mine adding his squawk at opportune moments (or not, depending on your point of view) to the play. Probably Alfie Kaka I thought, adding his own version of events with a rhythmic squark every five seconds. This went on for five minutes until I saw a silhouette of a kaka fly over the audience for a better look before departing the scene.
A morepork then took up the challenge and went through its repertoire of vocalisations before silence reigned once more except for the actors on stage.
They were up to the long process of wordy anguished dying by sword and by asp at this stage, and very soon the last gasp was had, and Julius Caesar had had his last soliloquy, so we packed up and wandered past the darkened rose gardens back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment