I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Kayaking continued

We woke with camping site intact and tsunami warnings abated.
A walk seemed in order so we climbed the hill behind us making the local sheep anxious and confused as we entered their territory . They baad  and they piddled and they panicked then they got out of our way .
From the top of the hill we had a fine panorama and could see the resort in the next bay. A lamb stew had been dropped off for us there so I volunteered to jog down and pick it up .
The cafe wasn't open so I put my head around the corner and enquired after our lamb stew . Several of the staff looked up and one ambled over to the freezer and handed me a package without a word.
I jogged back to the camp for breakfast safe in the knowledge that dinner was also sorted.
We planned to head further afield today or should I say further asea.
With the wind behind us we made good progress and washed up on an island with a lovely sandy beach for lunch.
Once out of our kayaks we found it was quite windy but we were hungry and lunch was good. We had a bit of a siesta then walked up a hill to an old pa site with incredible views of the Bay of Islands all around.
By the time we wandered back a swim was in order and I donned my wet suit, slid into a rocky cove and went exploring. There were plenty of channels and crevices with brown algae sucking in and out and brushing against me. I snorkelled into a cave. It rapidly got narrow and quite turbulent and though I could see light at the end I did not think I could fit through so oozed myself out again.
Time to head back. Now the wind was against us and progress back was slow. A couple of times the guide threw out tow lines which gave us the incentive to keep up a pace and not let the person in front do all the work.
As we came into our Bay we saw the  double ended, steel hulled ocean going  yacht belonging to our guide's partner.
As there was plenty of lamb stew we invited him over and enjoyed a pleasant evening discussing the travels he and Ginni had undertaken. They were feeling nostalgic as the next day was to be his last day under sail before the yacht was to be hauled up. The need to earn had gained the upper hand and they were preparing to leave the yacht for a year or more and work until their coffers were once more filled.

 We were to have a long days paddling  the next day as it was to be our last and we needed to return to Paihia. We had some wine, watched the sunset and the yacht as it gently rocked at anchor.
'You could always have a ride back on my yacht' mused Henrick.
This idea appealed immediately. We could have a kayak in the morning and a lazy journey back on the yacht. Since we had arrived on a barge, why depart in somewhat the same manner only more styley?
The deal was done and we settled into our tents looking forward to our next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment