I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Monday 16 September 2013

A week of contrasts.



A typical week of Wellington spring weather! We have had wind, then wet, then cold, then yesterday unveiled sparkling blue skies and more than a hint of summer warmth.
I had a long run to do and chose to go around the harbour and continue to almost the airport. Wellingtonians were out in force on the water front enjoying the sun. A busker was playing a piano, children were scooting about on  variety of bikes, and adults were walking, cycling and roller-blading. The harbour looked magnificent and I eyed the dragon boat race course and thought how good it would be to be out there on a day like this. Rowing sculls were out on the water looking decorative. A novice couple were out in a hired kayak and looked very intense about as they tried to coordinate their paddling.
I have been watching the Americas Cup on television and thought how fantastic the racing would look here as our harbour is a natural bowl with vantage points everywhere. Yesterday I almost heart-attacked when I saw the NZ Emirates' amazing flying catamaran have trouble tacking and go up on an angle of forty five degrees. So close to disaster! It was heart stopping. How they brought it back and got it on an even keel again I don't know. Alas we are too small to hold such a competition here and Auckland is the only place really able to hold such a competition. But we have to win in San Francisco first.
One bad tack almost sinks NZ's America's Cup Challenge

Plenty of cyclists were on the road too. A gentleman went by exposing a little more than he realised. His lycra shorts had perished over the winter months and his rear was visible through the thinned material as he cycled happily past unaware he was over exposed.

I turned at Evans and headed along Cobham Drive towards the airport. I stopped every so often to photograph the wind sculptures displayed along the way. They were all moving today, but only
gently.
Its not often this wind sculpture is vertical!
The block sculpture spins in the wind.


Wind sculpture number three.
This sculpture's rings are supposed to light up progressively the harder the wind blows, but must offend someone as it is often vandalised

The last sculpture is situated in the middle of a roundabout. The metal reeds bend and tinkle in the breeze.
I looked up to the hill in front of me. A sign has been placed there to welcome people arriving by plane. Originally it was supposed to read  'Wellywood' due to the fact Peter Jackson was producing the Lord of the Rings and Avatar movies here. There was an uproar by the good folk of Wellington who thought that was too kitsch by far. As a result a competition was held and a sign 'Wellington Blown Away' was chosen. As flying into Wellington can be a hair raising experience due to the wind, I don't know if people want to be reminded of the fact as they arrive.
The 'Blown Away' sign reminding people what to expect when flying into Wellington.
                   
As I returned I saw a couple of ladies having a dip at Haitaitai Beach. I wondered if they were a part of the OBEs - the 'over bloody eighties' club who swim pretty much all year round. It made me think I must harden up and test my new wetsuit in the water soon.
A couple of ladies enjoying a refreshing dip at Haitaitai Beach
It was even more crowded along Oriental Parade with people enjoying the warm sun. One young gentleman asked if I would go for a swim with him.
'Not without my wetsuit,' was my reply. I wondered if he was operating on some sort of dare which he won if he convinced some passer-by to get in the water with him. I must admit it looked clear and inviting and I was hot from my run, but from experience I know how cold that water is and am not about to cast myself in yet and certainly not without my wetsuit. The OBEs had my admiration but I was not about to emulate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment