I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Tuesday 3 September 2013

We Have an Egg!

A kaka nest box in the bush

It was the day to do my kaka nest box checks again. A late winter southerly blast was making its presence felt but the rain had eased for which I was grateful.
As I made my way up the valley I could hear kaka (North Island parrot) calling. At times they filled the air with their calls and cries.
It was quite a climb up so I took my time, stopping often to look about. At one point I could see a kaka up in a tree. I got out my binoculars but could not see any bands.

At the first site I could see that the twig that had been placed across the nest box opening had been removed. After watching for five minutes I approached and opened the little door at the side to check inside. There were signs that kaka had been in having a look but that was all. I locked up, found a suitable twig to put across the opening and left.
Twig gone from the opening

As I waited and observed the next box I heard a soft wibbling in the tree next to the nest box. A kaka was pulling at the bark with its beak. I got the bands of one leg but the other leg was hidden. I made my way down t the old wooden nest box, opened the side door and peeped inside. There amongst the wood chips was a small delicate white egg, smaller than a hen's egg. I quickly took a photo and shifted away so that Mother kaka would not feel too disturbed. Kaka lay up to five eggs over a period of about a week so it will be exciting to visit next week to see how many future chicks we have. I will have to wait and observe to make sure I don't disturb Mum on the nest. If she comes out for a break I can then have a quick look to see how many eggs at present. My buddy will be checking in the weekend so I may already have an idea on what to expect.

We have an egg!

At my last site I could hear a kaka about but could not see it. I checked the nest box as the twig had gone but there was nothing inside. I shut it up and replaced the twig. As I went to leave I heard a noise and turned around. There was a kaka busily removing my freshly placed twig. It hauled it away from the nest entrance and tossed it into the bush. It then poked its head into the box giving me a good view of its rear end and one of its leg bands. It came out and eyed me, skraaked and flew away. I retraced my steps and replaced the twig.

Twig replaced but soon to be removed by curious parrot

I departed at this point and wondered how long my twig marker would last this time. I presume not very long. Hopefully my twig removing kaka was in the process of choosing a good home to make a nest in and it was not just idle vandalism of the sort kaka are renowned!

A lovely home for prospective parents
Here is a video link to some kaka doing what it takes to get eggs and babies. Kaka sex can go on for up to 15 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment