I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Tricky Access

A lovely place to run and cycle as long as the Northerly is not blowing
On one of my recent runs along Oriental Parade and around Point Jerningham towards Evans Bay I had my attention drawn to a blue thing half way up a hill on the opposite side of the road. On close inspection I realised it was a trampoline. When Wellington winds get up trampolines tend to become airborne if not tied down and this one had ended up in an awkward place. I was amazed it had not fallen further and ended up on the road.
A wayward trampoline

I also marvelled at the houses attached to the hill and the fact they also have not tumbled onto the road. Access to some of these houses is truly inventive. There are windy paths, steep stairways and wondrous little cable cars. My running was constantly interrupted as I noticed more and more different and difficult accesses. I supposed the great views of the harbour and the close proximity to the city makes it worthwhile to perch in such eyries.

Access ways such as this must keep the residents fit.

Houses perched above one another

The view from up there must be spectacular
Access by cable car looks a little daunting
I couldn't see exactly where this cable car ended
A cable car leading up to a rather imposing house
A close up of the more modern cable car heading up to an imposing house
Houses in the main tend to be wooden in Wellington as they cope better with the regular earthquakes the city endures.
There are a few roads winding up and over the Mt Victoria Hill
Oyster catchers and a shag enjoying the spring sunshine
I turned my attention back to running and the harbour side of the road. Balaena Bay is of my favourite swimming spots. The sea is always calm as it is tucked away from the prevailing northerlies. I plan to try out my new tri wetsuit here as soon as the weather is favourable. It is a lovely warm sheltered spot in winter and summer.



Houses nestled in the bush above Balaena Bay

People fishing off Balaena Bay.


Balaena Bay is a lovely sheltered place to swim though rather cold


I turned around and headed back towards home. It had been a stop/start run but most enjoyable.
As I turned the corner at Point Jerningham I immediately noticed the difference in housing. Here it is far more up market. There are hotels and apartment buildings clustered around Oriental Bay and its created golden sands beach. In the early days visiting ships dumped their sand ballast here and created a beach. Norfolk pines were planted as they were all over New Zealand beach spots as they were de regeur in the early 1900s. A band rotunda was built and Oriental Parade became the place to promenade. In latter years the sand disappeared and left rocks and the Rotunda was turned into a restaurant.
In 2004 Wellington Council  decided to bring the beach back and  brought a large amount of heavy golden sand from Nelson. They manufactured a very nice spot which has worked well. To a degree it looks odd as Wellington is traditionally a black sand area. It has become the place where the young and hip hang out and there are good cafes opposite. The less hip but more canny people like me use this beach when the weather is good as its rafts and fountain make a safe place for ocean swimming, but for a relaxing, sheltered, quiet place Balaena Bay wins every time.



Back around Point Jerningham Oriental Parade is more built up. The golden sand beach was brought in from the top of the South Island making it a popular place for the young and trendy.















No comments:

Post a Comment