I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Creepy Crawlies




We have finished the audit of the tracking tunnels, and just in time, because autumn and heavy rain have arrived. I have spent time over the past few weeks putting out bait, and bringing in papers with footprints on them, which the owners have left as they wandered in to grab a free feast. Well, feast isn't quite the right word. What has been on offer is peanut butter, rabbit jerky and fresh rabbit. And in warm weather fresh rabbit quickly turns into fly blown rabbit which by maggot locomotion can almost walk off by itself when you open the box.

Proud Mum and babies enjoying a piece of rabbit bait.



I was given routes that took me all around Zealandia, mainly on the main tracks and along the perimeter. On the way and inside the tracking tunnel boxes I saw quite a few creepy crawly bugs lurking about which added interest to my work.
A visiting cave weta with a back leg missing

A beetle scavenging about




Large male tree weta on fence post







Case moth




The papers showed up a variety of footprints but only one of the nasty kind which was mice. All it takes is a slight distortion of the fence or a morepork dropping its dinner to allow a live mouse to get in and they do. Other foot prints were interesting too. Little scratchy footprints meant invertebrates, probably weta. Toutouwai or robins are curious and they go in to have a look and leave distinctive bird prints behind. A smudgy line indicated a tuatara had ambled in and left a tummy print.



Evidence of mice




At one point I noticed a beautiful forest gecko on the outside of the perimeter fence. Of course it was unable to force an entry and I hoped it would be OK out there amongst the mammals. It had a more natural threat as well as I noticed a karearea or native falcon hovering high up above the fence and hunting for prey.

"Let me in! I wanna come in!"


My last foray was on the main path for the homestretch and as it was school holidays every time I stopped to check a box I immediately gained an audience. Such interest has to be rewarded so I had to explain what I was up over and over and show children the footprints and get them to guess what they thought they might be. Dads were extra keen and usually answered before the kids got a look in.

Each time I finished my fingers were as inky as the animals who had frequented the tunnels and no doubt there was an aroma of ripe rabbit and the odd maggot hanging about me but I enjoyed being given the opportunity to be involved in this pest identification work.

Eradication comes next, I suppose.

A steep section of the perimeter fence















No comments:

Post a Comment