I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Waka Ama




As a way to keep fit during the off season of dragon boating our committee decided to try out waka ama, or paddling in out riggers, a very popular South Pacific sport. Despite the missionaries banning it in the early days (probably because it was too much fun) it has made a come back. The canoes are light and fast with an outrigger for balance. People paddle on both sides, swapping every ten or so strokes when someone yells 'hup'. Different canoe sizes hold different numbers of people.



Wellington holds 'Give it a go' days once a month so six of us chose to head down to harbour  to give waka ama a go. The winds were whipping up the harbour and at first they were not too keen on taking us out. We had some drills on the land to get the gist of the paddling action. There are subtle  differences between dragon boating and waka ama paddling. In waka ama you don't lean out as much, your paddles are more spoon shaped and shorter, and every so often you have to swing your paddle over to the other side, change leg position and start paddling in one smooth action in time with everyone else. They travel fast and can tip easily if you do not keep your ama or outrigger on the water. Dragon boats are more stable but also more cumbersome.



Despite the waves we were keen. We went out in a six seater, with three of us newbies and three experienced paddlers. At first we practised with our tail held in on shore so we could get the hang of things safely. I was second in line and followed the actions of the person in front as best I could. Swapping the paddle to the other side of the boat was tricky but manageable and vaguely in time. Changing leg position at the same time was a no go for a while but it started to come right as I relaxed.

The instructions were mainly in Maori which was really cool. 'Karete' for get ready. I knew that from watching the All Blacks haka. 'Hoea' means to paddle, and 'hoe' is a paddle and I knew those terms from the wonderful traditional paddling song Hoea Ra te Waka Nei that I had learned as a child. I am still waiting my chance to paddle in a waka taua or Maori war canoe, a desire I have had since I first learned that song at school.

If you want to hear the song, click here:
Hoea Ra Te Waka Nei

When we had got the basics we headed out into the waves for a quick paddle out and back. I had to focus hard to keep in time and to change sides at the 'hup'. I watched the person in front and when it came to the turn it was our responsibility to lean out to the ama side and draw water towards us to pull the canoe around as there is no rudder. The last person in the boat uses his paddle to steer as well as paddle, but for a turn the front two paddlers have to draw to bring the canoe around.




We got some steam up coming back and all too soon it was over. We helped dismantle the ama and packed the canoe away.

If the dragon boat committee decides to go ahead with waka ama practice in the future I for one will be really keen.







No comments:

Post a Comment