I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Wednesday 8 May 2013

The Kaiwharawhara in flood



                         

                             The Kaiwharawhara in flood



Damage done to trees by the increased water levels


I went for my usual run down the Ngaio Gorge Track yesterday. After the heavy rain over the last day or two the normally gentle creek was more like a mountain torrent. Looking at the river banks I could see the waters had been even higher during the night - at least a metre higher.
There was a sign up to say the track by the river was out of action, but I decided to try my luck and and used the path anyway. I came across a small washout and a couple of places where water was crossing the path, but nothing impassable.





It was chill to start with,but running and coming out of the bush into the sun solved that issue and the day turned very pleasant. I decided to try a different path home and ran up Onslow Road to Khandallah. It is not the best road to run up being steep. narrow and windy. It also does not have a footpath so I had to be careful of traffic. Thankfully it was light at that time of the day so I got to the top in one piece and had a gentle downhill run to home.


A small lake had formed behind a fallen tree

In places the water was still very high

The Kaiwharawhara looking more like a mountain stream than a city river  ten minutes  from the main street.


There is going to be a wall of water coming down when the dam bursts

No comments:

Post a Comment