I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Monday 6 May 2013

Tinakori Hill

Te Ahumairangi


Our autumn weather has been mild and the ground dry underfoot so running on trails rather than foot paths is still a very pleasant option.
Instead of running my normal circuit I chose to return home via the Tinakori Hill or Te Ahu Mairangi, best known as a backdrop to parliament and providing some of the steepest streets in Wellington, which is saying something.
It used to be covered in exotic pines but a storm about fifteen years ago ripped through them and left a twisted rubble. It has taken a while, but finally native forest is growing up through the remnants of the pines, and it is becoming a very pleasant place to walk or jog through. As you climb you are rewarded with beautiful views of the city and the harbour. Today the sky was sparkling blue and the views spectacular. I stopped often to catch my breath and gaze over the city.

View over the City with Stadium in foreground

The ferry departing for the South Island

In places trees that have survived the storm have grown together over the path making a tunnel like effect with subdued, dappled light filtering through. There were many twists and turns plus side tracks but I chose to just keep heading on up following the Northern Walkway signs.

A cool tree-tunnel to run through

I popped out on Weld Road, an extremely steep street and headed down into Wadestown and home deciding this will be  a more pleasant route to take as it keeps me away from traffic for a longer period and offers such spectacular views.

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment