I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Thursday 24 January 2013

Kaka Nest Checks

A tuatara on the side of  the path.

On the way up to check my kaka nests I spied three tuatara beside the track. These were all outside the fenced area set aside for tuatara. Originally there was concern that tuatara might be affected by mice so in 2005  60 were released into a fenced research area where mice had been eradicated and ten were released in to the main valley where there were some mice.
After a year they were weighed and it was found the ones outside weighed more than the ones inside so  Zealandia was given 130 more to be released throughout the valley. It is wonderful to see them doing so well.
The kaka breeding season is coming to an end. It was very quiet at our nest sites and it does not look look any are going to re-nest in the area. I wandered down to the upper lake and crossed the concrete  arch dam. It gives a ready made canopy walk and a lovely view down the valley.
Upper dam and lake

The concrete arch dam - a good place to look at the tree tops.

Heading back to the ops shed I met up with another volunteer who has been showing me the ropes on feeding the takahe and giving a talk about them. We weighed out their specially prepared takahe pellets, took the information bag and headed back out to their spot by the top of the lower lake.
T2 and Puffin were their hungry selves, and as there was a group of school holiday programme children  also gathered we gave them some food a little early. As they enjoyed their pellet lunch I talked to the growing group of visitors about the history of the takahe and about our pair in particular. I then gave them the rest of the pellets and we watched as they quickly devoured what was on offer.
I picked up some of their soft iridescent feathers to show people. They are moulting at present and look a little scruffy with feathers out of position. It must feel a bit itchy as quite a bit of scratching and grooming went on. Someone pointed out a larger feather lying on the ground but as I went to retrieve it, the two takahe followed me and showed great interest in my hand in case it held any more food. I chose prudence and left the feather where it was rather than risk a nip as I put my hand down.
Another group of children arrived and kept me busy with questions.

 I felt I had earned my keep as I would have ended up doing the takahe talk to more than forty people.

No comments:

Post a Comment