I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Friday 11 January 2013

A Swim to the Fountain

We awoke today to find the winds gone, but  two paddling pools had arrived blown in from who knows where. We put them out on the berm so the owners can collect them.
As the sun was out a swim in the harbour seemed the thing to do. It was crowded at Freyberg beach as people stretched out and relaxed. There are never that many swimming and today was no exception. Despite it being almost midsummer I put on a wet suit and two caps before I headed out to the first raft then on to the second. The water was choppy as it was still under the effect of the previous couple of days windy weather. I chose to continue on and swam around the fountain before heading back. This is a new skill for me. At the beginning of last year it was a battle to get to the first raft and back. Lessons do work and now I am far more confident and can actually breathe and swim without looking like a demented flounder.
However a photo in this weeks Dominion Post almost did away with my new found confidence. On the front page was a picture of a 1.8 meter shark wallowing in the shallows. Wellington Harbour is supposed to be far too cold for sharks..... or so I thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment