I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Monday 21 January 2013

A Run Around the Perimeter


The day was glorious so I decided to run, jog and walk depending on grade and energy around Zealandia's perimeter. There is a track that goes right around the outside of the fence creating a three meter clear space to prevent trees falling on and damaging the fence. The distance is about nine kilometers with a lot of ups and downs. I set off anticlockwise and headed down through the scrub to where the Kaiwharawhara Stream exits the Valley. I went off track a little to explore the weir and the remnants of St Johns Pool where children in the 1930s were taught to swim.


The weir



St Johns Pool


It was a very bright day causing a strong dappled light effect under the trees. I wound my way up and came out by the fenceline already quite high up but with a long way to go. I looked down at the steepest part of the fence dropping away towards Zealandia's main entrance. Volunteers walk the fence every few days and the people who walk this section must be part mountain-goat! They check for damage such as animals digging, trees falling and mountain bikers crashing.

View of the harbour and city.
                                   

I looked at the little plaques placed on each post recording people's $100 donations to enable the fence to be built. Many many Wellingtonians gave money to support the project to create a haven for New Zealand's hard pressed wildlife.
A little further on the track disappeared back into the scrub away from the fence and continued on steeply. This part is near a scout hut and a swing had been erected in the middle of the track - tricky for mountain bikers but fun for walkers and runners who want a little variety.
The fence dropping away steeply
I came out near the fence again and had spectacular views of  Wellington below me. The harbour sparkled as the Cook Strait ferry made its way to the terminal.

It was hot and my running slowed. I kept an ear out for mountain bikers hooning down the gravelly path and stood close to the fence to get out of their way as they passed, not quite in control.
View to the south with regenerating tree ferns in the fore ground.
View out to Cook Strait
As I reached the south end of the valley I looked out towards the South Island and noted the various tracks that headed off down the gully and to the south coast.      
On the homeward stretch with windmill to the right.


The down hill part was over only too quickly and I started the hard climb up to the windmill supplying power to the National Grid. It was a prototype, now followed by wind farms out by the coast. Recently it was decided to keep it running as it has become iconic as a landmark.
I stopped for a drink and surveyed the view out to the airport and noted travellers would have a calm landing as well as stunning views today.
I met several runners and walkers starting out. A couple of young men were carefully shifting a female Wellington weta out of the way of foot traffic. She was a beautiful specimen, her brown markings glistening in the sun.
Female Wellington Tree Weta

I ran on and entered the scrubby bush again before arriving back at the car park for a well earned drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment