I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Saturday 19 January 2013

Alfie Kaka
                                       
Guess what! My old friend Alfie Kaka has heard of my blog and wants to link it to his face book page.
I first met Alfie way back when he arrived at Zealandia from Auckland Zoo with a few of his mates, the first kaka to  freedom - fly in Wellington for many years.
I remember putting food out for him and having trouble lifting up the tray to place it in the feeding station as Alfie was sitting on it.
I once watched this first group of kaka including Alfie playing a game of  'King of the Perch'.  There was a bare branch of tree sticking sticking upwards. Six kaka were hanging on the the branch and slowly shuffling upwards. The kaka at the top would grip on tightly until the pressure from below got too great and he or she would fly off, circle, then come down to the bottom of the pile of kaka on the branch and start walking and pushing up the branch again to help dislodge the new king of the perch. It was a good game and kept both them and me amused for quite a while. Perhaps it was a zoo game they had developed as after that once, I never saw them do it again.
Alfie has had a book written about him and his early antics when he first arrived at Zealandia.
He has a penchant for sitting on human heads and giving their hair some grooming.
To become a friend of Alfie visit his facebook page - Alfie Kaka. He also has a twitter account.

No comments:

Post a Comment