I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Thursday 10 January 2013

                                                          Kaiwharawhara Stream
 Due to forecast high wins of up to 140ks per hour, I decided a long bike ride was no longer an option for today, though going one way would have been exhilarating at the least. Instead I chose one of my more favourite run circuits. I headed down the Ngaio Gorge river path. Tucked in between the hills was a different world to the blustery conditions occurring on more exposed places. I spared a thought for people roller-coasting into Wellington Airport - a bucking bronco ride for passengers today.
As I ran I met others enjoying this haven from the elements, especially people with dogs. The track is a doggy heaven with the river to splash and play in.
The Kaiwharawhara River gets its water from the hills above Crofton Downs and Ngaio as well as from the spill-off from the two lakes at Zealandia. The Trelessick Park Working Group have done a fantastic job over the past  twenty years replanting the bush and restoring the river.
My ancestors, the Torrs, owned a saw mill at the top of the gorge and no doubt played no small part cutting down the original trees in the 1840s and early 50s before shifting off and trying out their luck in Hawkes Bay.
As well as chopping down trees my ancestors also killed whales off Kapiti Island and caught birds for Dr Buller. It was the way of the world then as they carved out a new life for themselves.
As I ran along the path I caught sight of a flash of green, and there next to me was a kakariki, New Zealand's smallest parrot. It is a soft green colour with a flash of red on its forehead. It noticed me and flew off emitting a 'ch ch ch ' sound as it went. It is the first time I have seen one in the valley. Thrilled at the sight I continued on, only to be brought back to earth at the next bend. There on the path was a little bird - or the remains of it I should say. A head, wings splayed, tail and little stick legs, but neatly eviscerarated. I picked it up and placed it off the track. I could not tell its species but presumed it was the remains of a meal had by a stoat. Perhaps more trapping is needed in the area. I know it is a haven for kereru and kaka have been investigating it this summer, but little birds don't stand much of a chance.
I continued down the gorge, along Kaiwhawhara then up over the Wadestown Hill where the wind turned my hair into mad little windmills as I fought it on all fronts. Then down To Churchill Drive and home pleased with myself having managed to run most of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment