I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Thursday 7 March 2013

Feeding the Takahe


"Where's my lunch?"


I fed the takahe yesterday. I undertook this with caution and forethought as I have seen how 'bitey' they are at present, especially T2. This is not because they have decided that guides in orange or 'Guide a l'Orange' might make a tasty snack but because they have recently finished egg sitting, are now moulting, and their tussock is has browned off under the hot sun and are consequently hungrier than usual.
I did not go near them until shortly before lunch time so as not to stress them by making them wait.
I opened the pontoon gate and walked slowly to a the bench near where they are fed. Glancing behind I could see they were glued to my bare ankles. I hopped up onto the bench out of the way of anxious beaks. Takahe are good runners but cannot fly or jump any distance off the ground. They lurked and circled as I got out their pottle of pellets and tipped them in a jug. This step meant my hands would be further out of reach as I emptied the jug into the feeder and I would not have to fiddle with the lid of the hopper as well as the lid of the container while avoiding bitey beaks. No visitors were about at this time so I did not have to explain what I was up to, which meant I could focus all my attention on the matter at hand.
Takahe lurking around the bench I am standing on

Having got everything prepared I got down off the bench keeping my hand holding the jug high and walked slowly to the hoppers. My plan was to quickly pour a few into the first hopper and while they were distracted pour the rest in the other hopper. I also used the blocking move - sticking my backside out to keep my hands safe. I lifted the hopper lid and 'wham' T2 hit the side of the jug causing a few pellets to spill on the ground. No damage to me, I poured a few pellets into the hopper and moved off to the next one. So did T2 and Puffin. I am not sure why they did not stay to eat the first lot of pellets but I employed the blocking method again and this time got all the pellets into the feeder and moved away. The happy couple got stuck in and I went back to the bench unscathed to talk to the various visitors that had turned up by then.
Mr and Mrs Takahe getting stuck into lunch. Note the burnt off grass and the duck hoping to get in on the act.


Whew! Mission accomplished!
A gust of wind catching a takahe wing. Takahe cannot fly and use their wings only for balance
                                     

                                   Takahe prowling as I prepare food while standing on bench


                           Hungry takahe at the hopper. They like to eat together side by side.

                                        Scavenging for the spilt pellets after T2 pecked the jug.


No comments:

Post a Comment