I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Friday 1 March 2013

Swimming at Lyall Bay

Lyall Bay

The hot weather drove me to my favourite Wellington beach, Lyall Bay. The surf rolled in from Cook Strait looking luscious and inviting. I was seduced, but not fooled. I put on my wet suit, tucked my boogie board under my arm and eased myself into the shallows. No matter how hot on the beach, the sea is always cold here and today was no exception. For me a wet suit is a necessity for swimming in Wellington. I love the water and a little rubber between me and the waves keeps our relationship sweet.
The waves were big and  boisterous and I jumped and gasped in delight as they pounded over me. A slight southerly was blowing and the waves tended to dump rather than hold their shape but there was enough to keep me interested. I caught a few good waves, pulling out before they tried to grind me into the sand on shore and remove some skin.
Over to the left planes took off from the airport with regularity. Flying in and out of the city today would have been bliss as there was next to no wind. A few surfers were hanging out over that way too where the swell was at its best and were managing to catch a wave or two. They were also enjoying lolling about with the heat of the sun on their backs. A kite surfer played about a little further out beyond the breakers. People wandered on the shore in ones and twos and a few nestled into the sand heating up before a dip in the ocean.
The Cook Strait ferry appeared from beyond the airport and headed off towards the South Island. They are considering changing the destination of the ferries from Picton to Clifford Bay which will take forty minutes off the time of the crossing. Picton is a lovely seaside town and I always enjoys the trip through the Sounds but I can understand why they might want to shift the ferry landing to a more convenient spot.

The chill of the water began to seep past the wet suit and I rode my last wave in, nose dived into the sand and played in the shallows a little before finding a protected spot on the sand to the lee of the surf club to warm up before heading home.

Lyall Bay when the northerly wind is up
                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment