I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Sunday 10 March 2013

Indian summer

The Indian summer continues.
It seemed strange therefore, to be heading to WestPac Stadium to be Duty Manager for a rugby game. The Hurricanes were up against the Crusaders and a reasonable crowd had turned up. I was on a bar that was a little out of the way so was not too difficult to keep an eye on. People walk in the stadium entrance and queue at the first outlet they see. If they walked a little further around they would not have to queue at all.
Everyone was in good spirits and a lot of children were around. The game was close until the Crusaders got the upper hand  with about fifteen minutes to go. The bars closed down and I was free to go. By the time I had handed in my folder and vest though, the game was on a knife edge -  just a point between the two teams. I decided to go and watch the last ten minutes. The Wellington Hurricanes were grimly defending their one point lead. This they managed to do which pleased everyone in yellow and black as it is a rare occasion for us beat the Crusaders who have been the in form team for many years.
                                     Hurricanes fans celebrating a rare win over the Crusaders

Riding around the Bays a couple of days later I saw the downside of the game - smashed glass on the roads endangering our bike tyres. People after rugby games in particular take a weird joy in hurling their empty beer bottles out of car windows. We constantly had to signal 'glass' as we rode along. In the next couple of days I will have to inspect my tyres and pick out any glass caught on the surface and remove it before it burrows in further and causes punctures.
It was a beautiful day for a ride, warm with no wind. The harbour was a picture and a waka was out practising. It is one of my heart's desires to paddle in a waka. They look so amazing with their intricate carvings and leaf shaped paddles. I will have to find out when they practice and ask if I can have a go.

Wellington's ceremonial waka taua. (war canoe)

No comments:

Post a Comment