I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Monday 4 March 2013

Pitch and Putt

On Sunday I played my first round of golf that was not of the mini variety. Neither was it of the traditional nine or eighteen hole variety.
I played at the new course created by the Karori Golf Club out at Makara. It is called a  'Pitch and Putt' course and believe me, it was a lot of fun. It is the first of its type to be developed in Wellington. There are ten holes which vary  from 45 to 90 metres in length and are great for someone wanting to have a go at golf, for families or for a group who want to have a fun afternoon. The course, is less than one kilometre long and takes less than an hour to complete. It is called The Goldmines as it is situated on what was part of early gold mining endeavours in the mid 1800s. At the start of each hole there is a plaque with some entertaining gold mining history written on it.
I relied heavily on the experienced member of my team to guide me and show me what to do. She was a great instructor and I did not make too much of a fool of myself. Only one shot went completely AWOL and the rest were in the vicinity of respectable. 
There were three points going on each hole: one point for the first person on the green, one point for the person closest to the hole and one point for the person who got the ball in the hole first. In our team of three we managed to share out the points pretty evenly.
The course was rather brown as was the surrounding hills as there has been little rain in and around for the last month. Above the hills the blades of wind turbines showed themselves as they turned lethargically. I reminded myself that I wished to go mountain biking on the tracks the wind farm have created beneath these giant power generators.
Once our game was finished we retreated to the clubrooms for a leisurely lunch. What a wonderful way to celebrate a friend's birthday!

Here is a link to find out more about the  Goldmines Pitch and Putt:
http://karorigolf.co.nz/

No comments:

Post a Comment