I work as a volunteer in Zealandia, an urban wildlife sanctuary in the heart of Wellington, the 'coolest little capital' in the world. Here you can follow some of the things that I do, such as nest monitoring, feeding and talking about one of the rarest birds in the world or showing visitors the wonders of this amazing little valley.
When not in Zealandia I spend a large part of my time enjoying the wonderful outdoor environment Wellington has to offer. Biking, running, roller -blading, swimming and dragon-boat racing are some of the pleasures to be had amongst the tree clad hills, the winding roads and the ever changing harbour.
Living in Te Upoko O te Ika (the Maori name for Wellington meaning The Head of the Fish) is never boring with its wild climate and rugged terrain. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy describing this amazing place and its animals to you.

Thursday 21 March 2013

Transects and Takahe

Takahe grooming after lunch.
The rain did not last so I set out to do a little more transect work before giving the takahe their lunch. This involves off track work, clearing paths for people to put out bait stations for the yearly mouse eradication programme in May.
The bush was looking fresher after the rain and birds were enjoying the conditions. First I came across a pair of bell-birds or korimako, singing their hearts out, feeding and fossicking. I could not see their leg bands though. They have been hard to settle in the Sanctuary so it was great to see them.
Next I spotted a couple of kakariki down on the path, I think eating ripe berries that had fallen. I managed to get their bands and watched them for quite a while as they fed.
kakariki feeding on the path.
Once in the bush proper I was accompanied by robins every step of the way, as they fed on insects I had disturbed in the soil. Most are unbanded nowadays but I saw one that was and duly noted it down as as to give the details to Zealandia staff. It is very helpful to staff if people note down leg bands and report them to the website. The way to do it is to first note down the left leg from top to bottom and then the right leg from top to bottom. e.g. 'ym/rb ' would mean left leg yellow metal, right leg red blue. Black is recorded as 'k'.
There is a site to report sightings and leg bands and all information is very useful.
I came across a rotting tree covered in elephant ear fungus looking beautiful in the gloom of the bush.
elephant ear fungus
                                                  
I scrambled about re-marking the track and clearing when necessary. It is not something that can be completed rapidly and I did not make a huge amount of progress but was satisfied. I decided there was a couple of places that needed ropes to aid climbing. The transects follow 'as the crow flies' and it can get tricky at times crossing and climbing scarps.
Takahe starting to look glossy after moulting.
                                   
Takahe colouring is absolutely gorgeous.
At lunch I called it quits and headed out to meet up with the takahe. They are starting to look very glossy now that their moult is over and they did not seem quite as desperate for food. I could not feed them straight away as a crew from French Television was busy filming them for a travel documentary.
They departed in the electric boat after a while so the takahe did not have to wait too long.
I managed to get the food into the hoppers with little fuss, then waited by  the fence to watch them and to talk to passing visitors about our wonderful weird pair of retirees.
As I talked I noticed a strange machine flying over the lake. It was a drone taking photos for the French contingent. I had not seen one before and was most impressed as it buzzed about. I wondered if it was one of the ones being made in New Zealand.
The drone which flew over the Lower Lake filming for a French TV crew.

The takahe wandered down for a drink then set about grooming each other, Puffin expressing annoyance when T2 got a bit rough. She stretched her body up to full height and gave him a piercing stare as if to say 'Watch it boy!' He looked contrite so she let him continue to groom her neck feathers.

I had a little more of my own lunch and almost had a duck on my lap as it tried to share my sandwich. Mr and Mrs Takahe also tried a little begging but feeding them anything but their pellets is a big no-no and could cause all sorts of problems.


I said my goodbyes and ambled off into the warm sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment